Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Trading Places

As the birds start to move north this spring I have had the privilege to move south for a short while for work. Now I am enjoying some nice weather and a much different ecosystem (both natural and man-made). The difference between Fort Peck and Phoenix on the human level is probably greater that the difference between northern mixed grass prairie and the northern part of the Sonoran Desert (where is still occurs in the greater Phoenix area). In a few short hours I went from 300 people to over 4 million, Horned Larks and Canada Geese to Gambel's Quail and Anna's Hummingbirds, and Silver Sage to Saguaro Cactus. Although I am still spending most of the day indoors working in front of a computer and soon a camera, I have been able to spend a few hours in the evening at one of the local parks near the hotel where I am staying - shorts and Tevas time!


Gambel's Quail

Gambel's Quail calling

Curve-billed Thrashers

Anna's Hummingbird

Anna's Hummingbird

1 comment:

wolf21m said...

Excellent photos. Idaho is still bouncing between early spring and winter. Enjoy the warm weather and great birding down there.