Sunday, April 27, 2008

No gold but lots of bronze






Despite many miles driving through stubble fields of wheat on Saturday and Sunday I was unable to locate any Smith's Longspurs. The consolation prize however was thousands of Lapland Longspurs in a couple of fields. I have seen Lapland Longspurs annually for as long as I can remember but only in the winter. These were all in breeding plumage so in a way it was a new bird for me.

It was amazing how many were gathered in the two fields and they were all singing on top of it so the sounds were also new. I did make a three longspur weekend out if it with observations of Chestnut-collared and McCown's all in breeding plumage as well.



I did see a few flocks of longspurs that looked like the photo above and I was unable to figure out what they were.

Northeastern Montana is incredible dry and most of the potholes I looked at were just salt pans with no water. It was also quite cold with a few snow drifts hanging around. Thankfully I brought along my Flatcoated Retriever heater to keep me warm in the back of the truck last night.

2 comments:

Clare said...

Alright! My Lapland Longspurs are on their way home. Hurry them along John. I miss them.

John Carlson said...

Clare,
Honest to God Clare I was thinking of you when I saw them. They are on their way, hang in there.