Sunday, August 23, 2009

Shorebird Season



Shorebird habitat is hard to find around here this year. Lots of water during the spring and summer (except June) had resulted in full ponds with lots of vegetation right to the current waterline which eliminates the mud flats and exposed shorelines favored by this group of birds.
I did manage to find one pond that had a rather limited patch of favored foraging conditions and I spent a few minutes taking some photos. The Long-billed Dowitcher pictured above was one of the species I found.


Least Sandpiper - these were probably the most numerous of the shorebirds at the reservoir I was at.


Least Sandpiper


Least Sanpiper


Pectoral Sandpiper


Pectoral Sandpiper - looks like he is spitting. Must have been a bad bug.

I really wanted to get some photos of the Stilt Sandpipers and I was able to do so.


Itchy ear.


I managed to catch the bird above with a small worm or larvae in the tip of it's bill.


I have lots of photos like this, only with less head exposed on a majority of them.



There were also Baird's and Semipalmated Sandpipers in the mix but I only managed to get a few photos of one Baird's (below).

No comments: