Sunday, September 6, 2009

International Vulture Awareness Day

It was International Vulture Awareness Day a couple of days ago and I missed posting this on the actual day so I figured I would catch up.

I don't have many vulture anecdotes or stories to tell but I do have a few photos.


Turkey Vultures are the vulture I am most familiar with. They are increasing in numbers in the northern Great Plains and we have had over 20 soaring around town recently.





The other vulture that I have observed fairly often is the impressive Andean Condor. I would love to spend some time in southern Chile photographing these guys. For me, the quintessential Patagonia panorama includes an Andean Condor soaring with the Torres Del Paine in the background.


Then there is this guy. A vulture's vulture. I believe this is a Cape Vulture (Gyps coprotheres).
It was taken a couple of years ago at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs, CO. One of these days I would love to see these guys in their native habitat.

1 comment:

Dave Coulter said...

Cool shots....happy VAD!