Friday, November 23, 2007

Santiago, Chile

My travels began in Santiago early on November 3rd. I arrived a day before the guests spent the day recovering from the full day worth of airplanes and airports, and then did a bit of birding in a park near the Hyatt where I was staying. The Hyatt is a very nice place and I generally feel very out of place when I arrive from the plains of eastern Montana into the upper strata of class conscious Chilean society. Some of my feelings are probably also brought on by being by myself and the initial shock of speaking Spanish again after a year or so.

Santiago looking east from my room. The park I bird in is located in the lower left corner of the photo.

Inside the Hyatt looking up.

The grounds of the Santiago Hyatt.

So I go birding in the park. This park is located just to the east of the hotel and is a good introduction to a number of central Chilean birds.

Plain-mantled Tit-Spinetail
Rufous-collared Sparrow
Rufous-tailed Plantcutter - This species, which I wrote about earlier this year, appears to be very common the past couple of years. I remember when I first started birding in Chile, about 15 years ago, I had a hard time finding this species.
Tufted Tit-Tyrant

Chilean Mockingbird
Common Diuca-Finch
Monk Parakeet



1 comment:

Mobile app development company said...

Excellent Post. I would like to share information about the android iOS app development in Pune India. As a Pune-based app development company, our mission is to bring innovation and digital transformation to businesses and individuals in this vibrant city and beyond. With a focus on understanding the unique needs and objectives of our clients, we leverage cutting-edge technologies and creative expertise to craft customized mobile applications.