Friday, June 5, 2009

Dinner Time



The Hairy Woodpeckers are busy raising another brood in my backyard again. They appear to be a bit ahead of their pace from last year, probably because they didn't have to excavate a cavity this time. They just moved into the cavity they used last year with just a little cleanup early on. Right now they are at the stage when the parents protest quite loudly whenever we go into the backyard and occasionally when we look out the dining room window. I have to admit it was a bit annoying when it happened last year, but this year I am much more tolerant because I know how much I will miss having them around when the chicks fledge and the backyard becomes relatively silent all of a sudden.
Again this year I am amazed at the variety of food the adults bring back to the nest. Here is a sample from one afternoon.









No comments: