Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Greater Sage-Grouse Dancing in the Moonlight













This was the photo I was hoping to re-create this spring. When I originally took this photo a few years ago, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to attempt to do again.

This year I looked at the moonset charts and figured out the one day that might work. It all worked fine except that I had wound up placing the blind too far to the south and the birds were not in line with the moon. The birds were there and the morning was gorgeous, but I was just out of place. Next year I guess.

The following photos are from a couple of mornings on a couple of different leks about 2 weeks ago. I can't believe that it has been two week already.










































The birds were displaying with lots of activity well before sunrise, but the activity would slack off as the sun came up and the hens slowly departed the lek. One morning I was fortunate to have a few hens hang out on the lek well after sunrise, which prompted another round of vigorous displaying.

When the hens left, the fighting and staring at each other commenced.
















 













1 comment:

JK said...

The bright sunrise lighting on #6 is fantastic.