Thursday, January 23, 2014

Winter Escape

Last weekend I finally found some time to venture out north of town. The time out away from the confines of the city was therapeutic after another long week of meetings, conference calls and various assorted work related chores. I traversed a familiar route through pine covered hills and across large expanses of agricultural fields to the end of a large open basin where I was pretty sure I could find a few wintering Rough-legged Hawks. My other motivation was to return to a Waterfowl Management Area where I knew I could let the dogs run and possibly even run into a pheasant or Sharp-tailed Grouse or two.


I did find a few Rough-legged Hawks including one individual who was quite oblivious to me and appeared much more intent on locating his next mean than worrying about the human below him with a camera.






The dog also got their walk and although we were unable to flush any birds, I suspect they were pretty happy just to get out and about too.








2 comments:

Blazingstar said...

Beautiful hawk and dog photos! I love the one of the two of them both sitting in the same position.

Lots of rough-legs around here too this year.

onecollie said...

stunning pictures!! I'm glad I found your blog, I am bird crazy so I love your pictures.
Sage is looking good, they're growing so fast aren't they!