Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Evening Visitor Again



I think I may have figured out one of the reasons I may not be seeing many birds in the back yard these days. The Eastern Screech Owl I found a few evenings ago was back again tonight. I accidentally flushed him from the apple tree in the backyard when I was cleaning out the dogs water bowl but about a half hour later he was back, this time perched on a fencepost above the brush pile at the edge of the yard. He was there for about 45 minutes (or longer - I lost track of him when it got too dark to see). The entire time I watched him he was looking down into the yard, scanning back and forth, apparently looking for another vole for dinner.
Of course he showed up the day after the Great Backyard Bird Count ended. I wound up with NO birds recorded in my yard on Sunday, but Monday was better with at least few species showing up during the course of the day.

4 comments:

Vickie said...

I love that last photo. Fun visitor to see...not so fun for the voles.

Julie Zickefoose said...

The Hungry Moon.

Anonymous said...

Great pics of a not often seen owl in our neck of the woods.

Anonymous said...

Good to know there are still some screech owls out here on the plains. It's been many years since we had one near Regina.