Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Header Photo

A couple of people have asked about the photo of the bird on my header so I figured if a couple people have asked (I even stumped the Science Chimp on this one) I should probably tell those of you who were also wondering but too afraid to ask what it is too.
The bird is an incubating Pintado or Cape Petrel. The bird was nesting on the steep slopes of the caldera that is the inside of Deception Island. This particular individual was tucked up at the entrance in a shallow cave and was resting with its head tucked under the feathers of its back. More photos of this species can be found at an earlier post here.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Beautiful birds. I was one of those wondering what it was! Thanks...and for the extra pics, too.

BTW, I see only a large white box, without a video below. Is that my bad or has something gone missing at your end?

John Carlson said...

Hi Beverly,
Is the video link back up? It was doing the same thing for me at work but is now fine on my computer at home.

Beverly said...

Oh yes...thank you! Absolutely stunning! What a treat...