Sunday, November 16, 2008

Late Addition

Yesterday I glanced out the front window and glimpsed a small rusty red animal next to one of the Bison, just before they disappeared over the edge of the hill. At first glance I thought it was a new Bison calf, but November? Bison calves are born in June. It must have been a deer or something else.
The small herd spent the rest of the day holed up in a small wooded draw, out of sight and out of the wind so I wasn't able to check any closer.

This morning I was having my second cup of Sunday morning coffee, visiting with Laura and enjoying a nice, content, if a bit overcast morning, when I noticed the Bison were gathered on a hill out in the open and there was that small animal curled up in the dry grass next to the only cow left. I grabbed the binoculars and sure enough, there was a bison calf. Probably about 2 to 3 weeks old laying there with the group.



Bison are certainly tough animals and I hope this little guy makes it but he certainly is in for a much tougher first few months than most other Bison calves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen one late calf with the Wood Bison at Fort Providence. It almost certainly wouldn't have survived the winter. Pity.