Monday, November 24, 2008

Mystery Pelagic Bird

I found this photo link recently on Surfbirds. Here is the story behind the photos from Doug Aguillard in San Diego.

On the Pelagic trip yesterday as we approached Middle Island, a small passerine came flying towards the boats and most people onboard were thinking Lapland Longspur. As it circled the boat, I managed some iffy shots at it. The bird started flying to Middle Island which was only a hundred meters away when a Peregrine Falcon came out of no where and nail the passerine. The votes for what is was has been:Lapland Longspur, House Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, and Chipping Sparrow.


I am not sure what to think. My first impression was House Sparrow, but I haven't really sat down with a field guide to run through options.

No comments: